Oh I am so happy right now! I visited the post office today and to my excitement there was 18 new books waiting for me there. I’m absolutely ecstatic. I’m gonna make sure 2015 will be a VERY good reading year. The three books I most impatiant to read is «Pride & prejudice» by Jane Austen, «Girl Boss» by Sophia Amoruso and «Talon» by Julie Kagawa. Check out my instagram for pictures of my new books (@epicdesignshop).
But over to another topic – Tonight I’m gonna meet with my girlfriends for a fun and cozy Christmas dinner (and party). The gifts for tonight’s dice game is already bought and wrapped, and I’m really looking forward to an evening with laughter, good food and the very best of friends.
1. Toys lying around does not mean your house is a mess. Toys are toys, not clutter. In our home we have ALOT of toys in the living room and that’s the way it should be, in my opinion.
2. Your love life will get pretty boring and none existing. Trust me, you will not have suitors lined up outside your door. Being a single mom is apparently not a big turn on .. Who knew right?
3. It’s perfectly OK to use the TV or iPad as a nanny from time to time, especially when you have a lot of things to do. Don’t overuse it of course, that’s NOT healthy. It’s good to know that I do have the option of a personal «tv-nanny» though.
4. You deserve to feel proud of the amazing job your doing as a single moter. Absorb all compliments, trust yourself and know that you always do what’s best for yourself and your child.
5. Drown your child in hugs and kisses. Never let them doubt how much you love them!
6. They will try to manipulate you (hehe). They are sooo cute and they know it.. There will always be a power struggle when it’s just you and your kid together. Is your child the boss or is it you? Don’t get fooled by the supercute Bambi-eyes and sweet words. It’s hard, but you can do it.
7. You are their role model, their best friend, their mom (and dad), their everything. You have many shoes to fill and it can be exhausting at times, but know that you almost always, always will be their hero.
8. You will get used to nagging and my best tip is simply to shut your ears. Optionally you can easily distract your child by asking whether she for example wants to play memory, ludo, draw, bead or another fun-filled activity. As long as you get your child to think of something else it wants, then you have won. VICTORY!
9. You will be more dependent on your family and friends than before. Being the sole carer of a child is more challenging both financially, physically and emotionally. You don’t need to feel ashamed about needing a break from time to time. You need and deserve it!
10. No matter what your child will end up being you absolute best friend. This is inevitable and it’s the most amazing feeling in the world!
And of course, as a single parent you ALWAYS got to have time for fairytales, picnic role play, lego building, singing, dancing and everything else your kid wants to do! ;-)
I didn’t get much sleep tonight, so I researched and designed this photo wall in Photoshop. It was so fun to add various interior items from Kähler, the hours flew by so quickly. The main reason why I wanted to make this photo wall was to give you an example of how my prints can be assembled and used in your own home.
The white «Mon Amour» print has quickly become one of my favorites and it is very pleasing and fun to see that you agree with me. This print has received more orders in a day than some of the others have got during this whole year. I am beyond happy and excited!
1. People can get jealous and mean.
Despite that most people like the products I design, there are also so-called «haters» that only gives negative feedback. These people will never like anything you create and they love to inform you about it again and again and again and again.. The ironic thing is that these «haters» are actually jealous of you and wish they could have your job.
Why they behave so nasty, I do not know, but it’s important that you do not take it personally. Remember that you are not the problem, they are! Constructive criticism is worth gold, but do not let anyone treat you like a doormat.
2. Copycats exist.
Although I have only worked as a designer for about a year, I have already experienced being copied by others. Luckily, I have not had the need to report these incidents, but it has been difficult to get in touch with some of the copcycats. After I got in touch with them, they all apologized and removed the product(s) they had copied. If they had not agreed to do this, the law would have been on my side and I could have contacted the police. Copying is illegal!
It’s important to learn and understand the difference between «real» copying and «allowed» copying. For example, if you get inspired by someones print, then you are not allowed to create one exaclty the same, but you are free to design your own unique version of the same quote.
3. You will experience rejection.
As a designer it is quite normal to experience being rejected by social media, customers and potential partners. In these situations it’s important to know when the «battle» is lost and when you should try a little harder. A no can quickly become a yes if you manage to sell your product in a nice and convincing manner.
Don’t get sad if you’re experiencing more negative respons in the beginning. It’s not the end of the world! Look on the bright side – You will be better prepared for situations like this in the future. Learn from it!
4. It’s OK to say no!
A big newbie trap is saying yes to everything at once. This will almost always end in losing inspiration and being unable to get satisfied with your work. As a designer, it’s a necessity to always get to be proud of the final product.
It’s also okay to say no to requests that do not fit under your niche. Now you’ve figured out what you’re good at and what you enjoy doing, so why say yes to projects you don’t really want?
5. Good things take time.
Success does not come overnight – Hard work is required and you must never give up! If this is your dream, then all the sleepless nights, the negative feedback, tears, anger and despair will be worth it. Know in advance that this will take time and you have to work your ass off.
Success is waiting at the top of the mountain. You must climb high, long and through different weather, but it’s entirely up to you whether you let yourself fall or continue no matter what. Know in your heart that you will reach the top eventually.
Mon amour is french and means «My love» in english. I love the french language and have been dreaming about visiting France for many years now. Hopefully 2015 will treat me good and take me to my dream destination – The French Riviera, Nice.
I finally finished all Christmas orders today and now I have the opportunity to actually take a little holiday break. It will be spent with my family and I can’t wait to play board games, watch cozy Christmas movies, eat amazing food and just enjoy myself throughout Christmas. I want to finish reading at least two books during the next two weeks, which I’m really looking forward to. I started reading «Delirium» by Lauren Oliver today and I am already hooked. I will probably finish reading this in just a few days..
Christmas Eve is only a week away, can you believe it? I hope everybody has finished their Christmas shopping! ;-)
Har du fortsatt noen julegaver igjen å kjøpe? Sjekk ut mitt store utvalg av A3 og A4 print på EpicDesignShop.com! Bestiller du innen natt til 17. desember vil du motta pakken senest lille julaften! :-) Nå har jeg et skikkelig juletilbud med 20% rabatt, så LØP OG KJØP!! :-)
Skriv inn koden «Jul» for å få 20% rabatt på din bestilling!
I’ve been in a very romantic mood recently, but since I’m not dating anyone, I found an outlet for it in my work. My latest print «Our love is forever» is in my opinion one of the sweetest I’ve ever designed. There are four different varieties, but only one has the stylish pink watercolor background.
Tomorrow I have to visit the post office and send out this weekends print orders, and I plan to take several promo photos for Epic Design Shop. It has snowed a little this weekend, so I’m hoping that will make it easier to take photos in the short amount of daylight.
I’ve received several questions from you this last month and thought that maybe it was time for a little round of Q & A. What do you think? Just ask me anything if you have any questions. I’ll answer as best I can! You can of course choose to ask anonymously. :-)
A new print for the kids room has been created and I’m so happy with it! I can’t wait to hang it up on my daughter’s room (the pink variant of course). This is a print that can be personalized with your child’s name and birth date, plus there are five color variants to choose from – White, pink, blue, grey or black.
I’ve wrapped all the Christmas presents earlier today, so now I plan to spend the rest of my evening relaxing with hot cocoa and a very good book.